Policy Manual Customization
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a policy manual customization?
An IASB policy consultant will work with your district to develop a new and up-to-date local school board policy manual. This policy manual will be based upon the IASB's Policy Reference Manual and will be customized to include your district's current policy and practices, as appropriate.
What are the benefits of working with an IASB policy consultant?
In addition to an up-to-date board policy manual, the board will benefit from in-district board development on effective board governance, the policymaking role of the board, and board-superintendent roles and responsibilities.
What are the steps involved in a customization?
The customization process may vary to meet individual board preferences and needs. Generally it proceeds as follows:
- The policy consultant, board members and superintendent meet in the district to discuss the board's needs, to agree upon process, and to gather information and documents.
- The policy consultant prepares a draft based upon the IASB Policy Reference Manual and input from the first meeting.
- The policy consultant, board members and superintendent meet up to three times in the district to edit the draft. Board members participating receive IASB Master Board Member points.
- A final manual is delivered to the district ready for review and board adoption.
- Adoption dates are added to the manual and the board receives both a hard copy of the manual and an electronic copy of the manual. (MS Word format)
How do we know whether our District needs a policy manual customization?
Use the following list to help you decide.
The Policy Manual
- contains written policies that:
- include up-to-date district goals,
- delegate authority to the superintendent,
- define operating limits,
- ensure legal compliance,
- establish board processes, and
- provide for monitoring of district progress.
- includes all policies required by state and federal law and regulations.
- has an easily identifiable coding system, alphabetical index or search engine and table of contents.
- is available in the district administrative offices and, as appropriate, for Board, staff, students, parents and the community.
- Each policy is clear and concise.
- Policies are legally referenced.
- Policies have cross-references to related policies.
- Adoption dates are clearly stated.
Updating and Distribution
- The manual is provided in an electronic format for ease of updating, use and accessibility
Streamlined Policy Manual Customization
If your district has completed a Policy Manual Customization with a representative from IASB within the past 5 years, you may be eligible for a Streamlined Policy Manual Customization. This service provides the benefits of a full customization with a streamlined process for efficient use of school board and staff resources.
What will it cost?
Costs can vary based on local district needs. Contact Lin Bremer at ext 1232 or via email at email@example.com to obtain a price.
For further information
For further information about this service, contact any IASB Policy Services staff member .
Return to Policy Services Menu
Click on Banner for More Information
Although the IASB Web site strives to provide accurate and authoritative information, the Illinois Association of School Boards does not guarantee or warrantee the accuracy or quality of information contained herein.