Master Board Member Program
IASB's Master Board Member Program (formerly known as Leadership & Development Award) recognizes the service and participation of school board members in various
IASB and/or NSBA activities within and beyond their local districts.
In-district board development activities with IASB staff include:
- Board self-evaluations
- In-district customized workshops
- Policy editing sessions
IASB Division activities include:
- Fall and spring Division Meetings
- Governing meetings
- Legislative meetings
- Serving as a division officer or director
IASB/NSBA Workshops and Conferences include:
- IASB's Joint Annual Conference
- NSBA's Annual Conference
- IASB regional and pre-Conference workshops (including School Board LeaderShop offerings)
Other IASB activities include:
- Participating in the Annual Chicago Schools Tour.
- Serving on IASB committees, focus groups, etc.
- Serving on an ISBE committee as an IASB representative
- Testifying on behalf of IASB and school boards before the legislature, ISBE, or other
state or national agencies or committees
- Serving as a panelist or panel moderator at IASB/NSBA division, state or national
- Serving as a voting delegate at the IASB Delegate Assembly
- Serving as a statewide officer of IASB
Each of these activities is assigned 5 to 30 Master Board Member credits depending upon
the time commitment involved. Credits are cumulative and individuals are recognized at
different milestones as they accumulate these points:
- Individuals receiving the Level I designation have accumulated at least 60 credits.
- Those receiving the Level II designation have 130 credits or more.
- Individuals reaching the 200-credit level receive the Master Board Member designation.
- Thereafter, the Master Board Member designation is maintained by accumulating 50
additional credits each year.
Benefits of Master Board Member recognition include:
- Special recognition at IASB Division meetings
- Level I -- lapel pin
- Level II -- IASB umbrella
- Master Board Member -- marble paperweight
- MBM Maintenance -- date tabs for paperweight
- Special conference ribbon designation for Master Board Members
- Access to press release for submission to local news publications
Board members can access Master Board Member application forms and monitor their personal service and participation records in their own online database at IASB's Members-Only website. This password-protected site is available at: http://members.iasb.com.
Registration is required. This requires the member's seven-digit Member ID number and their last name. This number appears on the mailing label of all materials sent to IASB members, and begins with "2". After completing this step, members need to set up an account with an email address and a password of their choosing.
The Master Board Member forms and individual database information can be found on the Members-Only site under the tab, "Your IASB Involvement" at the top of the home page.
Forms are available for each school year going back to 1999-2000 and are provided in portable document format (PDF).
Board Training Home
Click on Banner for More Information
Although the IASB Web site strives to provide accurate and authoritative information, the Illinois Association of School Boards does not guarantee or warrantee the accuracy or quality of information contained herein.